Operetta is a 2011-introduced and all-around character. She is a phantom, specifically the daughter of the Phantom of the Opera, and a student at Monster High. Operetta has the reputation of both a diva and a rebel, demanding respect from those around her but also not being a fan of etiquette, convention, and rules. In general, she avoids her fellow students in order to hang out in the catacombs, where she has her own theater and recording room. Music is Operetta's passion in life; she is a talented singer, though her powers do not allow her to give live performances, and skilled with both the guitar and the organ. She enjoys playing for audiences, but she reserves conversations about music solely for those who share her level of devotion. Though likely to leave a bad first impression, Operetta is one of the most loyal friends anyone at Monster High could have.
Holt Hyde called her "a bit of a diva" with a "set of pipes" in his 'Basic' diary. She is described as being a perfectionist and that she hates being told what to do. Although she was introduced as being bitter and frigid at first, she warmed up to the ghouls and showed that she could be a great friend. Overall, Operetta is like her music, independent and free. She doesn't walk on eggshells for anyone and will do what she wants, when she wants, no matter who it hurts or who it helps.
Operetta has light purple skin and bright red and black hair with 1940s-inspired Victory Rolls. She has flashy makeup, a music-related arm tattoo, and a similarly music themed scar on her face which she covers with a spiderweb patterned, heart/musical note shaped eye mask. Her eyebrows are purple and her eyes are blue-grey. She also has a black beauty mark under the left side of her lips.
Despite her opera inspired name and background, Operetta seems to be highly influenced by Elvis Presley with her Southern accent, interests, and somewhat rebel attitude.
Her father is the Phantom of the Opera. According to Holt Hyde's 'Basic' diary Operetta's dad teaches a night keyboard class at Monster High. Nothing is known about her mother.
Her MH site profile originally listed her BFF's as being Holt Hyde and Heath Burns, as well as giving a BFF stamp to Cleo de Nile. However, her profile has since changed to list Deuce Gorgon as her friend instead of Heath Burns, and Cleo's BFF stamp has been removed.
In the diaries, Operetta and Deuce seemed to be friends for a while, but in the webisodes they meet mainly due to Cleo's jealousy. While meeting him at first was only to get back at Cleo for thinking wrong of her, Operetta finds she and Deuce have a lot in common. After learning how deeply he feels for Cleo, and coming to care for Deuce herself, she does stop her vendetta. Helping him express his feelings for Cleo through music, she starts to truly be his friend as well as put her anger towards Cleo in the past.
In "Kind: The Shockumentary", she is happily talking to Spectra and a backgrounder at the end.
PetMemphis "Daddy O" Longlegs is a purple spider with Elvis Presley-styled hair, named after Memphis, where Elvis Presley grew up. In his Monster High site description, Operetta mentions that he can rock a pompadour while playing a standup bass. He seems very inspired by Elvis Presley, just like Operetta. He is combing his hair which means he may be able to use his legs to do other human activities. Also likes to stretch his red tie 24/7 with his 8th leg.
According to Holt's 'Basic' diary, she went on a brief date with him, but that ended when he got them kicked out of the club. In the webisode "Phantom of the Opry", she decided to steal Deuce from Cleo in revenge for earlier false accusations. Romance could have occured between the two if Deuce hadn't already found Cleo to be his significant other, but that is something that will always remain unknown. The two have since become very good friends though.Same if she seem to be just friend with,Johnny Spirit she seem also to have feeling for him, but she never revealed it.
- October 23, 2007: Mattel requests the trademark for Operetta.
- October, 2010: Operetta makes her diary debut in Holt's 'Basic' diary.
- September 17, 2011: Operetta's profile art is revealed on the Monster High Facebook account.
- September 21, 2011: Operetta's doll is displayed on the Monster High Facebook account.
- September 29, 2011: Operetta makes her 2D cartoon debut in "Hiss-teria".
- September 29, 2011: Operetta's profile is published on the Monster High website. It originally lists her BFF's as being Holt Hyde and Heath Burns, and features a BFF stamp on Cleo de Nile. This is changed shortly after to mention only Holt Hyde and Deuce Gorgon as Operetta's BFF's.
- October 23, 2011: In response to questions about Operetta not being French, part of her student file is released on the Monster High Facebook account.
- Late January, 2012: Operetta's first doll is released as part of the 'Campus Stroll' series.
- February 12, 2012: Operetta makes her 3D cartoon debut in "Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love?".
- Operetta's character is a very elaborate play on her father's character. While her father is the Phantom of the Opera, she is the Phantom of the Opry. An opry is an establishment that features live country music (rockabilly took much influence from country music), and the term originated as a diminutive form of the word "opera". According to Operetta's student file released on Facebook, Operetta and her parents moved from France to New Orleans, a former French colony, when Operetta was still a little girl. Her father took a job on a riverboat opera house, likely on the Mississippi River, which presumably brought Operetta in contact with Nashville, Tennessee, the "City of Music" where the Grand Ole Opry is located, and Memphis, Tennessee, where Elvis Presley grew up.
- Operetta's hairstyle mainly follows the Bettie Page pinup look or a combination of the "Happy Pompadour" bangs with "Victory Roll" sides hairstyle. The Victory Rolls are gone in the webisodes, but are seen in the 3D TV specials.
- Her pet, Memphis "Daddy O" Longlegs, was apparently named after Memphis, Tennessee. He sports a pompadour like Elvis.
- Operetta's favorite food, fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, is referred to as an Elvis Sandwich.
- During the early development months of Monster High, Operetta was supposed to be a starter character. The role planned for her, a diva who dates Deuce Gorgon, was eventually given to Cleo de Nile. The cartoon and diary storylines in which Cleo suspects Deuce cheating on her with Operetta are a reference to these early plans.